Monday, October 22, 2012

Conquering Really Small Endeavors


There are certain culinary undertakings that I am really skeptical of trying. And, it seems as though I am most skeptical of the easiest ventures.

It doesn't matter how many times I see a super-simple recipe for a food product. For some reason, in my head, the process will be extremely hard and laborious.

Culinary endeavor #1: Nut butter.

It's all over the place these days. Every blog has a post about how easy it is to make your own nut butter. What's the point of spending 7 dollars on a jar of almond butter when it's so easy to make your own while saving a few dollars at the same time?


I can't tell you the point. But I can tell you that it's taken me about a year to overcome my strange fear of making my own nut butter. Yesterday, however, I managed to contribute to the modern nut butter-making world of 2012.

I made walnut butter.

And, despite sounding like a broken record at this point--it was SO easy.


All I did was roast the walnuts at 350 degrees for five to seven minutes, let them cool, threw them in the food processor with some kosher salt and let it go. Literally two minutes later I had walnut butter.

It is super yummy. I've been enjoying it spread on pieces of toast. And by the spoonful, of course.

Culinary endeavor #2: Applesauce.

When I went to Sam's house for Easter this past spring, her mommy made homemade applesauce. I was even able to watch the process myself and see how easy it was.

Yet it took me until now to finally try it for myself. Just like the nut butter, it was easy and satisfying.


Just simmer the apples down with sweeteners and spices and blend it up.


Next time you feel intimidated by a recipe, take the time to try it out. It might just surprise you. Or it might just reinforce what everyone has been telling you for twelve consecutive months.

-Meri

No comments:

Post a Comment