Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Happy Birthday My Sistah!

This week it was my sister's turn to have her birthday dinner (almost two months late).

Her menu request differed greatly from my mommy's.

Here it is:

Asparagus with Almonds and Yogurt Dressing (seriously incredible-try it)


Salad Nicoise-I actually ended up making two plates because it made so much


Whole Wheat Skillet Cookie (served with ice cream)-I adjusted the recipe, using 1 cup whole wheat flour and 1/2 cup all-purpose flour


This was all she requested, but I decided to add a little since I thought two vegetable dishes would not be enough for dinner (turns out there would have been plenty of food sans my addition, but my family is notorious for making a bit too much food).

Since the sourdough pizza dough that I used from my mom's dinner was so good and so easy to make, I figured I'd grill some up again for breadsticks.


And here's a instagram-hipster version of the breadsticks.


And our basil plant seemed to be dying so I made some pesto for mini grilled pizzas with pesto and mozzarella on top. Yum.


Homemade pesto is one of my favorite things to eat. And, it is incredibly easy to make. You do not need a recipe. Basically, you need a green of some kind (I used a mix of basil, parsley, and mint), a nut (I used almonds, walnuts, and pine nuts), garlic (usually a clove or two is enough), finely grated cheese (I used pecorino romano), and olive oil to form the paste/sauce (whichever consistency you're going for). I also like to add lemon juice and lemon zest. Plus salt and pepper to taste of course. Also, if you don't have enough green to add, you can throw something in like sun-dried tomatoes as an addition. So good.

Trust me, everyone will go nuts for whatever you throw into the food processor.

Melissa enjoyed her dinner :) and my aunt Bethy just put in her request for her birthday dinner next Monday. Time to start planning.

-Meri

No comments:

Post a Comment