Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Happy Birthday Mama Medoway

This birthday present is coming way late. Like, over a month late.

But you know what? That's how we do it in this family. Why? Because we like for celebrations to last as long as humanly possible. We can stretch a holiday/birthday/anniversary/etc. like no other.

So, despite it being way past my mom's birthday, I still owed her part of her birthday gift: a special dinner with a menu chosen completely by her.

She decided on:

Avocado Vichyssoise


I garnished with parsley instead of cilantro because my mom might have actually blown a fuse if she tasted said herb.

Artichoke Spinach Pizza with White Beans


This was one intense pizza. It had a white bean cream sauce topped with sauteed leeks and spinach, artichoke hearts, white beans, parmesan, mozzarella, and italian herbs.

I chose to do a sourdough crust because I needed to use Oscar, my sourdough starter. Woah. He made a delicious crust. And, I had extra dough so I grilled it for bread sticks (not pictured--eaten too fast--okay, I actually just forgot) and little flat breads with goat cheese, tomatoes, and basil.


Actually, I lied. My mom didn't choose the whole menu. I found this cake recipe a long time ago and knew immediately that I must make it for my mother at some point. It screams Darcia.


And don't skimp on the poppy seeds. It will seem like you are using way too much, but you're not. Just have faith. And bring a toothpick.


Oh, and I made a salad. Not for dessert. But a salad is always a good addition to dinner.


And she loved all of it! Now I just have to make my sister and my aunt's birthday dinner...

-Meri

No comments:

Post a Comment