Thursday, June 21, 2012

Happy Birthday Bethy!

Monday I completed my list of birthday dinners for this summer. We concluded with my aunt Bethy, whose birthday actually came before both my mom's and my sister's. Oops. I think she liked it just the same.

Like usual, the birthday girl got to choose her menu. Bethy requested pea soup, an asparagus dish, pasta that she could add bacon to, and an assortment of brownies (everything deluxe of course).

Here was the final product:

Green Pea Soup with Cucumber Raita- super yummy, and the raita was a great addition!


Asparagus with Almonds and Yogurt Dressing- it was so good that I made it two weeks in a row


Sourdough Ciabbatta- a recipe from the King Arthur Flour magazine. I'm on my way with my summer bucket list!


Caprese Pasta- I wanted to do something summer-y, and here's what I came up with- recipe posted at the bottom


And finally, the assortment:


Salted Caramel Brownies- probably my favorite. I'll be making that caramel topping quite often I think...

Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel Brownies- need I say more?


Dark Chocolate and Hazelnut Blondies- I topped half with shredded coconut and kept half plain


I made all the bars in muffin tins so that making small batches would be easier (and cuter).

Another birthday success!

Caprese Pasta

-6 tomatoes on the vine
-1 container of Bel Gioiso burrata
-1/4 cup basil
-1 lb fettuccine
-zest and juice of one lemon
-reduced balsamic vinegar
-salt and pepper to taste

1. Set oven to 275 degrees Fahrenheit. Cut tomatoes into eighths and place on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, salt, and pepper and roast for 3-4 hours until the tomatoes are soft and juicy.
2. Cut the burrata into bite-size pieces and chiffonade the basil. Add the burrata, basil, and tomatoes to the bowl that you will serve the pasta in.
3. Bring a pot of water to a boil and add salt. Cook the pasta according to the directions on the box.
4. Drain and add the pasta to the bowl and toss. Add the lemon zest and juice as well as a few tablespoons of reduced balsamic vinegar. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Enjoy warm, room temperature, or cold!

-Meri

No comments:

Post a Comment