Saturday, March 3, 2012

POTS and Television: A Match Made in Heaven

I have a chronic, debilitating condition and a love of television. Two things have not gone so well together since peanut butter and jelly (or peanut butter and Oreos, if you’re Lindsay Lohan). Anyway, I’ve noticed recently that my TV taste has been less than ideal, so I’ve decided to make a new rule for myself:

I have to swap two trashy TV shows that I currently watch for two legitimately well-done TV shows that I’ve heard good things about.

1) Keeping Up With the Kardashians for Community

This coming year may be the year that the Kardashians finally go away. With the divorce heard ‘round the world causing the family an unprecedented amount of controversy, the end is near for the E! royals. I vow to do my part and stop watching anything that involves a Kardashian. Instead, since I do love me some cutting edge comedy, I’ll watch Community, which has proved to be exactly that. The last three seasons have brought viewers some amazing things, such as an episode done entirely using claymation and an episode centered around the school having a campus-wide paintball war. It has also been consistently laugh-out-loud hilarious. If you throw in the fact that Community stars Joel McHale, who I’ve loved since I started watching The Soup and that the show has a continuing relationship with Cougar Town that involves cast members from each show randomly popping up in the other, there’s absolutely no reason for me not to be watching.

2) Say Yes to the Dress: Bridesmaids for Louie

I’m not going to make any promises that I can’t keep, and I don’t think I’m ready to quit the Say Yes to the Dress franchise cold turkey. However, I can bear to lose Bridesmaids, which is basically what would happen if The Real Housewives of Atlanta were forced into the same bridal party and taken shopping.

I’ll swap it for Louie, the FX comedy written, directed, produced and edited by its star, comedian Louis C.K. The format of the show is incredibly unique, as each episode contains multiple unrelated storylines separated by stand-up performances by Louis C.K. The show stars Louis C.K. as a fictionalized version of himself, living in NYC while raising his two children alone. This allows many of Louis C.K.’s real-life colleagues and friends to appear in guest roles. The show is also hysterical in a dark, sarcastic way, critically-acclaimed, and Emmy-nominated. If that wasn’t enough to convince me, I got my first taste of Louis C.K. when he starred opposite Amy Poehler in Parks & Recreation, which is one of my absolute favorite shows. After that, I’ll have no problem giving his show a chance, even if it means leaving my beloved bridesmaids behind.

-Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment