Monday, May 28, 2012

Goat Cheese... In a Pie?


Sometimes flavor combinations just seem wrong. Like there is no way that those two foods put together could possibly be appetizing.

But, there are also some combinations that seem odd, but like a car crash, you can't look away. It's so odd that you just have to try it. Whether it succeeds or fails, you need to know what that tastes like.

That's how I felt when I came across this recipe. It actually comes from one of the restaurants that Guy Fieri visited on Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives (I think I vaguely remember the episode).

Anyway, I just had to make this Blueberry, Goat Cheese, and Basil Pie.

Tell me you don't want to know what that tastes like.

Well, to tell you the truth, it doesn't really taste like goat cheese. We served the pie at our Memorial Day party. Various people in attendance hate goat cheese--but they loved the pie! It really was delicious. The cheese and heavy cream creates a super creamy center with just a slight tang. The basil flavor isn't strong at all but it does compliment the other ingredients. And the almond topping adds a great crunch and contrast to the smooth filling and buttery crust.

I also recommend making the dough in the food processor. The recipe says to make it with your hands, but if you're in a rush like I was, the food processor whips it up in no time.


The moral of the story is: embrace weird things. They're good (and sometimes yummy!)

-Meri

No comments:

Post a Comment