Friday, July 5, 2013

I Climbed A Hill!


My goal for my last few weeks in Italy has been to see as much of it as possible. "Possible" signifies going places that don't have a train fare of over 10 euros and don't take more than 2.5 hours to get to.

Bologna very easily fits that description and, even though I've been there a bunch of times, I've never climbed the "church on a hill" that so many people talk about. Said church is the Santuario di Madonna di San Luca and I pass it every time I take the train into Bologna.

I decided to climb the hill in 90 degree heat, so I was thankful that Bologna is a fan of covered walkways.


I was sweating profusely by the time I got to the top, but it was worth it!





After my climb, I treated myself with a trip to Eataly. I bought a book of pastry and pasta recipes, but was excited as well to see the Italian version of "The Omnivore's Dilemma."


The next day I went to Parma. The most exciting part of the trip may have been this orange and fig soda drink thing.


It was amazing.

Or maybe the amazingness was exaggerated because I was about to keel over from dehydration.

Then I found a botanical garden.


I haven't seen that much green in one place for a long time.

I'm going to miss these streets when I get home...


I'm super jealous of Parma's Parco Ducale.


No offense Modena, but it kicks your Giardini Ducali's butt.


This tree had a sign on it that said "i 30 sogni dell'albero:" 30 dreams of the tree. There were 30 little paper creatures in the tree to represent the dreams.


Visiting towns has gotten a little bit easier since they've finally decided that it's hot enough to put on the air-conditioning in stores (usually). Though it's always a mystery when I step on the train...

-Meri

No comments:

Post a Comment