Friday, December 30, 2011

Going "Round the Bend"

Sometimes, I get a little ahead of myself. I bight off more than I can chew. I get too ambitious. And thus, I occasionally need someone to tell me-or yell at me-to stop.



When someone goes over the top in my family, we usually call it "going 'round the bend," because, well, we like to make as many West Wing references as possible in our day-to-day lives to make it seem like that world actually exists (oh, and Donna tells Josh that he's gone 'round the bend after he becomes obsessed with Lemonlyman.com-a website dedicated to him. Do I know to much about this show?).



So, I got the "round the bend comment" two days before Christmas when I was about to start my 14th batch of cookies. It was about 10 o'clock (I had been making cookies until midnight all week) and my mom asked what I was doing next. When I casually mentioned making Jeff Mauro's sandwich cookies, she made a face. And when I say my mom made a face, I mean a face that said "Are you f---ing insane? How many cookies have you made so far? I can't even close the kitchen closet anymore! Meri, you've gone 'round the bend" (it said more, but I would need more than one post to list everything that face radiated).



I guess that meant I should stop. Yes, I reasoned with myself. I made 13 different kinds of cookies. Maybe I don't need another. Maybe I can make it later when the other cookies are gone (judging by the look of my kitchen, it will take approximately four months to devour the food gifts we've received so far over the holidays...and there are still some of my cookies left...).



I stopped making cookies.(Don't worry, I'll be sure to top this year's bounty next time.)
And here's what I made:
Flourless Chunky Monkey Chip Cookies
Brown Butter Oatmeal Cookies
Jacques Torres Chocolate Chip Cookies (these might have been my favorites)
Gingersnaps
Chocolate Crackletops
Cinnamon-Spiced Hot Chocolate Cookies
Hazelnut Chewies
Cashew Butter Balls
Apple Cider Snickerdoodles
Czech Squares
Pistachio and White Chocolate Chip Cookies
Chewy Flourless Chocolate Cookies
Sugar Cookies



My mommy made:
Walnut Puffs
Elfin Squares
Chocolate Coffee Ribbons



My sister made:
7-layer cookies
Gingerbread cookies

18 kinds total. I'm not sure if it was enough...



P.S. My kitty likes to help me bake sometimes.



-Meri

No comments:

Post a Comment